Liftr Look Ahead: Liftr Cloud Regions Map Updates - Processor Brands
The Liftr Cloud Regions Map is a visual tool provided by Liftr Insights that allows investors to see up-to-date cloud components supplier availability (processor and accelerator brands) and other key infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and platform-as-a-service (PaaS) offerings in every region of each tracked cloud service provider (CSP). Liftr Insights currently tracks four CSPs in our Liftr Cloud Regions Map – AWS, Azure, GCP and Alibaba Cloud.
Many of the pull-down options in the Liftr Cloud Regions Map are derived from Liftr Cloud Components Tracker data. Think of the Liftr Cloud Components Tracker like measuring share of shelf in a supermarket or other retail storefront – it informs customers about the complexity of a tracked cloud’s IaaS offering. Parts of that complexity are the share of services that use different processor and accelerator chips, including the versions of each chip, as well as how much memory is used and more.
Let’s look at a couple of examples showing how using the map’s “processor brands” pull-down option is useful to cloud investors.
Looking at China and zooming in to focus on each CSP’s Hong Kong region, we can see that:
- AWS’ ap-east-1, Azure’s asia-pacific-east and Alibaba Cloud’s cn-hongkong regions all currently offer Intel Xeon processors across three generations – v3, v4 and v5.
- Azure also has deployed AMD Opteron v2 processors in Hong Kong. These Opteron processors are a very old vintage and have not been updated in many years.
- Google Cloud’s asia-east2 region only has Intel Xeon v5 Skylake-generation processors.
Scrolling south we can look at processor brands offered in Singapore and compare them to Hong Kong. Both geographies host many of the same processors:
- AWS’ ap-southeast-1, Azure’s asia-pacific-southeast and Alibaba Cloud’s ap-southeast-1 regions all offer Intel Xeon v3 through v5 generation processors, the same as in Hong Kong.
- Azure similarly offers those ancient AMD Opteron processors in Singapore.
It looks like Singapore is an older region than Hong Kong, because:
- AWS also offers older Xeon v2 processor in Singapore.
- And GCP’s asia-southeast1 region offers the older Intel Xeon v4 processor in addition to the v5 processors deployed in Hong Kong.
But the important observation for investors is that AWS and Azure are deploying more current processor generations in Singapore than in Hong Kong:
- Azure’s offers AMD EPYC v5 and v6 processor generations in Singapore.
- AWS also offers Intel Xeon v6 processors in Singapore, in addition to AMD EPYC v5 and AWS’ own in-house Graviton v5 processors.
While our Liftr Cloud Regions Map is great for interactively checking what is available now in individual regions, Liftr Cloud Components Tracker customers receive a detailed summary of month-to-month deployment changes as they happen.
For this example, knowing how often Hong Kong receives new processor deployments compared to nearby locations like Singapore may help investors refine macroeconomic models of the region.
Certainly, knowing how many new deployments of latest generation processors by which CSPs in what regions is a great way to check up on how well processor vendors are competing against each other.
Make sure to also check out our Liftr Cloud Regions Map videos on accelerator brands and CMGR.
Liftr Cloud Components Tracker: http://bit.ly/2QceXlT
Liftr Cloud Regions Map: http://bit.ly/2LGB5PV
Follow Us On: